RSS

Blog

Triumph Herald aka Standard Herald

History of Triumph Herald

 The Triumph Herald was a small two-door car introduced in 1959 by the Standard-Triumph Company of Coventry. Body design was by the Italian stylist Michelotti and the car was offered in saloon, convertible, coupé, van and estate variants.

 
Total Herald sales numbered well over 300,000 and the Triumph Vitesse, Triumph Spitfire and Triumph GT6 were all based around modified Herald chassis and running gear with bolt-together bodies.
 
Towards the end of the 1950s Standard-Triumph offered a range of 2-seater Triumph sports cars alongside its Standard saloons, the Standard 8 & 10, powered by a small (803 cc or 948 cc) 4-cylinder engine, which by the late 1950s were due for an update. Standard-Triumph therefore started work on the Herald. The choice of the "Herald" name suggests that the car was originally intended to be marketed as a Standard, as it fits the model-naming scheme of the time (Ensign, Pennant and Standard itself). By 1959, though, it was thought that the Triumph name had more brand equity and the Standard name was phased out in Britain after 1963.
 
Giovanni Michelotti was commissioned to style the car by the Standard-Triumph board, encouraged by Harry Webster, Chief Engineer, and quickly produced designs for a two-door saloon with a large glass area that gave 93% all-round visibility in the Saloon variant and the "razor-edge" looks to which many makers were turning. Fisher & Ludlow, Standard-Triumph's body suppliers, having become part of an uncooperative BMC, it was decided that the car should have a separate chassis rather than adopting the newer monocoque construction. The main body tub was bolted to the chassis and the whole front end hinged forward to allow access to the engine. Every panel  including the sills and roof  could be unbolted from the car so that different body styles could be easily built on the same chassis. Accordingly, in addition to the original coupé and saloon models, van, convertible and estate versions were on offer within two years.
 
The Standard 10's 4-cylinder 948 cc OHV engine and 4 speed gearbox was used with synchromesh on the top three gears and driving the rear wheels. The rack and pinion steering afforded the Herald a tight 25 feet 0 inches (7.62 m) turning circle. Coil and double-wishbone front suspension was fitted, while the rear suspension, a new departure for Triumph, offered independent springing via a single transverse leaf-spring bolted to the top of the final drive unit and swing axles.
 
Instruments were confined to a single large speedometer with fuel gauge in the saloon (a temperature gauge was available as an option) on a dashboard of grey pressed fibreboard. The coupé dashboard was equipped with speedometer, fuel and temperature gauges, together with a lockable glovebox. The car had loop-pile carpeting and heater as standard. A number of extras were available including twin carburettors, leather seats, a wood-veneered dashboard, Telaflo shock absorbers and paint options.
 
Prototype cars embarked on a test-run from Cape Town to Tangiers. An account of the journey was embellished by PR at the time. However only minor changes were deemed necessary between the prototype and production cars. The new car was launched at the Royal Albert Hall, London on 22 April 1959 but was not an immediate sales success partly due to its relatively high cost, approaching £700 (including 45% Purchase Tax). In standard single-carburettor form the 38 bhp (28 kW) car was no better than average in terms of performance, delivering 60 mph (97 km/h) in about 31 seconds and a maximum speed of 70 mph (110 km/h). The rear suspension was also criticised as yielding poor handling at the extremes of performance though the model was considered easy to drive with its good vision, light steering and controls and ease of repair.
 
Standard-Triumph experienced financial difficulties at the beginning of the 1960s and was taken over by Leyland Motors Ltd in 1961. This released new resources to develop the Herald and the car was re-launched with an 1147 cc engine as the Herald 1200. The new model featured white rubber bumpers, a wooden laminate dashboard and improved seating. Quality control was also tightened up. Twin carburettors were no longer fitted to any of the range as standard although they remained an option, the standard being a single down-draught Solex carburettor. Claimed maximum power of the Herald 1200 was 39 bhp, as against the 34 claimed for the 948 cc model. Disc brakes also became an option shortly afterwards.
 
Sales picked up despite growing competition from the BMC Mini and the Ford Anglia. The convertible was popular as a 4-seater with decent weatherproofing and the estate made a practical alternative to the Morris Minor Traveller. The coupé was dropped from the range in late 1964 as by then it was in direct competition with the Triumph Spitfire.
 
The Triumph Courier van, a stripped-out Herald estate with steel side panels, was produced from 1962 until 1964, but was dropped following poor sales.
 
A sportier version, the Herald 12/50, offered from 1963-1967, featured a tuned engine with a claimed output of 51 bhp in place of the previous 39, along with a sliding (Webasto) vinyl-fabric sunroof and front disc brakes as standard. The power output of the 1200, which remained in production alongside the 12/50, was subsequently boosted to 48 bhp.
 
A saloon tested by The Motor magazine in 1959 was found to have a top speed of 70.9 mph (114.1 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 31.1 seconds. A fuel consumption of 36.4 miles per imperial gallon (7.76 L/100 km; 30.3 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £702 including taxes of £207.
 
In October 1967 the range was updated with the introduction at the London Motor Show of the Herald 13/60. The 13/60 was offered in saloon, convertible and estate bodied versions. The sun-roof remained available for the saloon as an optional extra rather than a standard feature. The front end was restyled using a bonnet similar to the Triumph Vitesse's and the interior substantially revised though still featuring the wooden dashboard. Interior space was improved by recessing a rear armrest in each side panel. The engine was enlarged to 1296 cc, essentially the unit employed since 1965 in the Triumph 1300, fitted with a Stromberg 150D carburettor, offering 61 bhp (45 kW) and much improved performance. In this form (though the 1200 saloon was sold alongside it until 1970) the Herald lasted until 1971, by which time, severely outdated in style if not performance, it had already outlived the introduction of the Triumph 1300 Saloon, the car designed to replace it and was still selling reasonably well but, due to its labour-intensive method of construction, selling at a loss.
 
"Production figures:
 
Triumph Herald 1200 (1968) Herald 948 saloon: 1959 1964: 76,860
 
948 convertible: 1960 1961: 8,262
 
Herald coupe: 1959 1961: 15,153
 
Herald 1200: 1961 1970: 289,575 
 
saloon: 201,142
 
coupe: 5,319
 
convertible: 43,295
 
estate: 39,819
 
van: approx 5,000
 
12/50: 1963 1967: 53,267
 
13/60: 1967 1971: 82,650"
 
Early 948 cc powered cars are rare, convertibles and coupes are especially sought after. Current figures have only 151 coupes remaining worldwide, many in Australia and the USA. Later cars are more numerous.
 
Heralds were assembled in a number of countries other than the United Kingdom, the separate chassis being used as a jig to assemble kits exported from Coventry.
 
In the 1960s, Standard Motor Products of Madras, India manufactured Triumph Heralds with the basic 948cc engine under the name Standard Herald, eventually with additional four-door saloon and five-door estate models exclusively for the Indian market. In 1971 they introduced a bodily restyled four-door saloon based on the Herald called the Standard Gazel, using the same 948cc engine but with the axle changed to that of Toledo, avoiding the Herald's "swing-arm" which could not handle India's poor roads. The Gazel was discontinued in 1977.
 
The Herald was produced in Australia by Australian Motor Industries from 1959 to 1966 with output totalling 14,975 units. Production included a 12/50 model which, unlike its English namesake, was offered in both saloon and coupe body styles. It featured the bonnet and four angled headlights of the Triumph Vitesse and was marketed as the Triumph 12/50, without Herald badges.
Willys Station Wagon

Willys Station Wagon 1946-1964

 

The Willys Jeep Station Wagon is an automobile which was produced by Willys in the United States from 1946 to 1965 with production in Argentina continuing until 1981 as the IKA Estanciera. It was the first mass-market all-steel station wagon designed and built as a passenger vehicle

With over 300,000 wagons and its variants built in the U.S., it was one of Willys' most successful post-World War II models. Its production coincided with consumers moving to the suburbs.

The Jeep Wagon was assembled in several international markets under various forms of joint ventures, licenses, or knock-down kits.

The Willys Jeep Station Wagon was introduced by Willys-Overland in 1946, the same year in which it introduced the Universal CJ Series. Arguably the first sport utility vehicle in the world to gain mass appeal, the Willys Station Wagon lineup had much to offer, with four wheel drive, easy maintenance, ample space for its passengers, and safety beyond what other “woodies” (wood-bodied station wagons) offered at the time. By comparison, the success of the Willys Station Wagon overshadowed that of many other models offered by Willys-Overland from 1946-1964.

In 1946, James D. Mooney, president and board chairman of Willys-Overland Motors, announced the “introduction of a new jeep station wagon” describing it as a "people's car." Indeed, the new 2WD, all-steel station wagon boasted easy maintenance, safety and a seven-passenger capacity. Powered by the Go-Devil flathead, four cylinder engine, the 463 model was designed to compete with the “rear” wood wagons manufactured by Detroit’s Big Three.

Designed by Brooks Stevens, the Willys Station Wagon’s steel body was extremely easy to mass produce, and was in fact, the first all-steel, factory-built station wagon in North America, initially fitted with the L-134 “Go-Devil” four cylinder engine (the same engine first used in the CJ Series). Seats were removable (with the exception of the drivers seat), making added cargo space optional for the post-war, increasingly more suburban consumer.

The four wheel drive version (model 4x4-63) was introduced in 1949, and used the same body as the earlier 4x2 Utility Wagon (model 4-63). While the station wagon was very popular among civilians, it was also well-suited for military use, especially with regard to the four-wheel drive model. Rated as a 1/2 ton 4x4, the 4x2 Utility Wagon was touted in press releases at the time with claims that it could negotiate a 57% grade and reach 60 mph on surfaced roads.

In 1950, the flat grille was modified to form a pointed “V” in the center, with 5 horizontal bars added to the 9 vertical ribs. Engine options changed in this year also with an F-134 Hurricane for the 473 model, and a new 161 cu in (2.6L) version of the Lightning six for the 673 model. In 1950, the Sedan Delivery version was introduced to the model lineup.

In 1954, the four wheel drive models included the 6-226 Super Hurricane engine, a flathead inline six which produced 115 horsepower. In 1955, newly under the ownership of Kaiser (Willys Motors Incorporated), several new models were added to the lineup that would eventually include the commercial delivery formats (Sedan Delivery, Panel Delivery, Utility Delivery). Ultimately, the Willys Station Wagon was phased out in 1965 by the Jeep Wagoneer.