The famous engineering company David Brown, founded in Huddersfield in 1860 as a pattern manufacturing company, is well known for its tractors. Its original purpose was the design and manufacture of gear systems, specialising in machine cut gears. In 1902, it moved to the Park Works in the West Yorkshire town, where David Brown Engineering Ltd remains today as a leading supplier of heavy transmission systems. The Brown family were involved in DBT right up to 1990, when they sold their stake to the management who subsequently floated the DBT group as a public company.
The David Brown Tractor was used by the RAF for the purpose of towing aircraft. Liveried in the RAF's Middle Bronze Green, it also features the RAF roundels on the back with its official RAF number 89377 and B/5 markings.